Sunday, January 2, 2011

Shutterbug Sunday: Display Your Pictures

Today we have a guest blog from Melissa of Shields Fine Art Photography. Melissa is based in Topeka Kansas. Currently she and her husband focus on art photography but they are also branching out into portrait and event photography. We know you will enjoy her tip today!

First off, I have to say thank you, thank you, thank you to everyone here at Crafty Life and Style for asking me to write this post.  I fancy myself some great photographer, but really I'm just like the rest of you.  The tip I want to share today is what to do after we push that button.  We've captured that moment in time and now what?
The first thing to do is get it off that card.  Cards fail and if your card fails then you've lost all those pictures.  I double store my photos.  I have two external hard drives.  There are two copies of each photo on each one of my hard drives.  I also have a pro flickr.com that I am trying to upload all of my photos to just in case something happens to the hard drives.  (You can check them out here.)  I've heard of people who use jump drives.  Each time they clear their card, they put it on a jump drive and file the drive away.  You can put them on CD.  The main thing is to have them somewhere else just in case your card fails.

Now you have to share them.  What fun is it to take a great picture and then not show it to anyone? I was sharing a lot on Facebook but it took so much time to downsize them and that's one of the reasons I started the flickr account.  But that doesn't spruce up my home any.  I'm going to share a little secret just between us OK?  I have picture frames in my house still with the fake family pictures in them.  How lame is that?  I know it's really bad especially since I take photographs as a second job.  But I'll share what's on my wall, what's ready to be hung and what's going to the printers to get hung.
This one hangs above my husband's computer area.  It's his best buddy Gabe.  It was a Christmas present a few years ago.
This one is going in my craft/office room when it's done being remodeled.  It's currently in a closest.  This one is special because it's the first photograph that hung in an art gallery.
This one just got back from the printer.  Not sure where or what is going to happen with it but at least it is printed.
I donated this one to the zoo for a fundraiser and it's getting reprinted for my office.  I want to line those walls with special photographs.
Now get out there and take some great shots and share them.  Decorate your home with them.  It's a cheap way to bring some color into a room.
About Melissa-
Melissa loves her camera and her friends have joked that the camera is just part of her body.  She started her passion for photography as a child in 4-H.  She blogs about her pictures and her husband's photography, photography in general, and photography tools at Shields Photography.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for having me today! I enjoyed it very much. For those that are wondering, the reflection in the dog's eyes is actually "red eye". I took it on a point and shoot several years ago now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi I'm a new follower from the Blog Frog community - love the blog and the pics are awesome =)

    Sandie lee
    http://cupofromance.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa, I found this post to be VERY informative. I have been just saving my photos to my computer and nowhere else. I KNOW that is a no-no! I was researching the external hard drives as back-ups and now after reading your post I will be buying at least one soon. Flickr is another thing. I have the free account and need to upgrade. I will do that soon. Thank you for a great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katlupe, I'm so glad you found the post informative. I had a free account for a long time on flickr. I upgraded this summer because I did Scott Kelby's photo walk. The limit on file size and how much I could monthly meant I couldn't upload them all at once. I just need to get in the swing of doing them all.

    ReplyDelete

Hearing from you makes us so happy! Please leave us a kind word.