Friday, December 31, 2010

Seeing into the Future

I am totally fine with looking goofy.  So, New Year's Eve is great because I fit right in with a mob of people who have lost track of self-consciousness, deep in a bottle of bubbly.  If you are going to a party and are tempted to go out and buy those funny little glasses that say "2011"...STOP.  My crafty friends, there is no reason you can't make your own.  Make this your resolution!!!  I will make more of what I need, starting NOW.

I made these glasses very simply with a piece of gold paper, some glue, sunglasses, and ribbon leftover from a Christmas gift I got.  Yes, I kept the ribbon my presents were wrapped with just for a project like this.  You know you keep crazy scraps too.  Don't pretend I'm the only obsessive scrapper in the room right now.

I literally found a piece of gold scrap paper in my craft pile.  I sketched my "2011" in bubble letters, leaving holes for my eyes.  Make the "2" and the "0" large enough to put the shades in the center.  Tack "11" on the end.  Once I cut out my numbers, I lined them with gold glitter glue to touch it up and hide the rough edges.  This actually takes awhile to dry...so don't do this an hour before your party.

Finally, embellish.  You can use feathers, ribbon leftover from gift-wrapping, or leave the glasses plain to match with a funky hat.  Use a few glue dots to adhere the paper to your sunglasses.  For those of you who don't know what glue dots are...you can get them in the craft store near the scrapbooking section.  They are with the racks of adhesives.  At the end of the day, I could actually pull my paper off of the sunglasses and scrape the glue dot off so my glasses weren't ruined.  I can't promise you'll have the same luck.  But, it worked for me.  Then, pop a cork and watch the ball drop like you are right there in Times Square.

2 comments:

  1. These are soooo cute! And you can do them every year....until it's 3000. I'm not sure how a 3 will work out. LOL!

    ReplyDelete

Hearing from you makes us so happy! Please leave us a kind word.