Sunday, May 15, 2011

Shutterbug Sunday: Bird Watching

We're excited to hear that our woodpecker is back for the summer! Honestly it's pretty cool. This bird is big! This is a Pileated Woodpecker, the largest woodpecker in America. They are between 16-19 inches long!  The red line from the beak to his neck indicates this is a male woodpecker.

When he's banging on a tree looking for carpenter ants, it sounds like the tree is getting hit with a hammer.  My son has also identified his call!  Now, he can tell me when he hears him. Obviously, when shooting photos of birds, you need to be stealthy and have your camera ready.  We've been lucky with Woody-- but I admit I'd love to get even closer!  I haven't been as lucky catching the pretty little humming bird who visits.

Woody was really distracted with chomping apart my tree stump, so we were able to capture quite a few snapshots of him.  We got varied results because my three kids were so excited just to see the bird.  The top photo came out the clearest. The bottom is a little less focused but we still love it. The rest were a bust.  It's very hard to get your subject in focus in a zoom lens when you are contending with something in the foreground- in this case- the grass.  Still, we got the shot we needed!  Persistence pays off when you're taking pictures of birds.

2 comments:

  1. Using the zoom lens with moving subjects is tough. I'm still figuring it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe how close up you got though...it's pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete

Hearing from you makes us so happy! Please leave us a kind word.