Thursday, July 7, 2011

Mixed Media Plaque

Hello there!  It's Amy from Mod Podge Rocks.  I've been in the small project mood lately.  Sometimes you just need instant gratification!  I've also been thinking a lot about gifts lately - I think because so many of my pals have summer birthdays.  I love making gifts and I love personalizing, so this was a natural fit.  It's sort of a mixed media plaque, sort of an experiment, because I think my friend would like it.  I encourage you to play, too.  Here's how I made this.

Gather These Supplies

Wood plaque
FolkArt Paint - Coffee Latte, Sky Blue, Warm White, Metallic Sequin Black
FolkArt Extreme Glitter - Hologram
Mod Podge Gloss
Mod Podge Dimensional Magic
Scrapbook paper - Cosmo Cricket, Circa 1934 Collection
Maya Road Chipboard Set - Cameos
Maya Road Grosgrain Pleat Ribbon, Light Brown - 2 feet
Making Memories Tiny Alphas - Pink Ledger
Nostalgique stick pin - from my stash
Small paper circle with a sentiment
Rhinstones - 2
Pencil
Ruler
Craft Glue
Scissors

Measure your plaque, measure the paper and then form a square to fit.

Paint the edges of the plaque with the colors of your choice.  I added interest by using three colors.

I used a smaller brush to add the blue trim.  I'm kind of a piggie when I paint, so I had to touch up.

Paint the chipboard pieces.  I used Warm White on the base, then I added Extreme Glitter over the top to make it sparkle!  I painted the cameo face with Black.  Let everything dry.

Time to Mod Podge!  Add a medium layer of Mod Podge to the top of the plaque and smooth the paper down.  Let the paper dry for 15 - 20 minutes.

Completely coat the plaque with Mod Podge.  Let dry and then paint another coat.

Cut your ribbon trim and carefully add to the back (around the edges) using craft glue.  It worked for me to do one side at a time, let it dry and then keep going.

Start adding the embellishments to the top of the plaque with craft glue and Mod Podge. 

Put the paper onto the stick pin.  Glue the stick pin to the top of the plaque.  For more interest, add Dimensional Magic to the paper saying and let dry.

My finished plaque!  If you like, you can add a hanger or magnets to the back of plaque.  These are so fun - you can make them quickly, and really personalize them for the recipient.  I really enjoyed the project and I hope you do too!

2 comments:

  1. That is so beautiful. Thank for sharing the making process. Write post at the right time.
    Merry Christmas to you.
    Keep posting.

    ReplyDelete

Hearing from you makes us so happy! Please leave us a kind word.