Thursday, March 31, 2011

Dimensional Magic Collage Art

Hello again!  I'm Amy from Mod Podge Rocks.  I've been here before with bracelets, and I'm happy to be back with another project - this time with Mod Podge Dimensional Magic.  If you've never used this magic little bottle of "stuff" (the name is so apropos), it does just what it says: it adds dimension to a flat surface!  It makes paper items look like epoxy stickers, and it makes jewelry items look like they have resin poured on them - yet it's non-toxic.  I know I sound like an infomercial, but I really love it.  I use it on jewelry a lot, so I decided to change it up with a piece of wall art.  I think you'll enjoy.  Here's how to make my Dimensional Magic collage art.

Gather These Supplies

Artwork with plastic frame - from Dollar Tree
Mod Podge Matte
Mod Podge Dimensional Magic
Krylon Spray Paint - Satin Avocado
Scrapbook paper - I used Crate Paper's Restoration collection
Scissors or Craft knife and mat
Sizzix Big Shot or flower templates to cut flower shapes
Craft glue
Paintbrush

To start, pop the back out of the frame and remove the glass (I didn't use it).  Spray paint the frame Avocado - I didn't show this because I would probably choke myself and ruin my camera if I tried to take a photo while spray painting. 

Spread a medium layer of Mod Podge onto the "art" that came in the frame - smooth your background paper down on top of it.  Allow it to dry and then give a topcoat.  Use your scissors or craft knife to trim around the edges.

At this point I cut out my images.  I hand drew the "vase" and cut that out, and I did the same with the stems and leaves.  Then I used my Sizzix Big Shot and the Flower Layers by Emily Humble to cut out the flowers.  If you don't have a die cutter, you can use either a stencil or hand draw the flowers yourself and cut out.  Use a variety of papers to really mix it up and make it cute!

Mod Podge all the items down in the configuration of your choice and then use Dimensional Magic to accent the flowers.  Some tips on using Dimensional Magic:
  • Don't shake the bottle; it causes bubbles.
  • Dry it in a warm-ish place.  Dimensional Magic doesn't like cold weather and it will crack.
  • You can layer Dimensional Magic on top of itself (after the first layer is dry) - it will dry clear.
  • It takes a few hours to dry - sometimes several depending on the weather conditions.
Use craft glue to secure the collage into the frame.

I used stencil tape to secure the back to the frame.  Now hang to your heart's desire.

Thanks to the team here at CL and S for featuring me.  I can't wait to show you more fun projects with Mod Podge!  I would also love to give away one of these today:


Here are the simple rules.
1. Comment on THIS blog entry.  What would you do with this Dimensional Magic?
2. Only one entry per person.
3. Contest will close this Sunday, April 3rd at midnight (EST).
4. PLEASE leave your e-mail address if it's not attached in Blogger - I need some way to reach you.

Thanks for the visit, and come check me out at Mod Podge Rocks
whenever you get the urge to glue!

I’m participating in the following linky parties: Blue Cricket, Skip to My Lou, Someday Crafts, Somewhat Simple, Tatertots and Jello, Tidy Mom, Tip Junkie, Today's Creative Blog

48 comments:

  1. I've never used any version of Mod Podge, but have been wanting to give it a try. I'm currently working on artwork for my bedroom remodel - I'd probably see if I could create something beautiful to go in there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i would totally make jewelry with it... or maybe art, or possibly use it on my purses. swo how about i would love and cherish it and use it til its gone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have only made jewelry with this amazing product, but now my imagination has been peaked. Love it Amy!! I didn't realize you could layer it. That may help me make the end product better Thanks for all the tips.
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so want to try this!! The jewelry would be perfect for my 3.5yo Little Lady!!!

    xx-Kristyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would use Dimensional Magic to my hearts content if I were to win! I'd use it on everything...hairbows for my daughter and friends daughters, I'd probably try to copy this awesome idea of yours, I love the colors! And I'm pretty sure I'd put it on every surface of my house :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love to add dimension to my cards, this would be a great addition to my STASH!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd definitely make some sort of artwork. The cogs are turning as I'm pondering what's in my stash...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love to use this product in scrapbooking and jewelry making. Going out to buy some today!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Adorable! I have tried the DM on jewelry, but nothing like this... must give some collage art a try!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would love to make my girls some of the soda cap necklaces I've seen with DM!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would use DM to create wall art for my bedroom.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i use modge podge a great deal but never used the dimensional. i would use it on my purses!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks like so much fun!! I think the first thing I would use the Dimensional Magic for would be to make some number-related artwork for my Math classroom. (I will be a first-year Math teacher next fall!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I want to make a pendant for my friend of her engagement photo. She'd LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would use this in my beer cap magnets.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Would love to try what you have shown us here. Even have a Dollar Tree about 20 minutes from here.Thanks for showing another way to use Dimensional Magic.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Never used the Mod Podge Dimensional...very cool! I would definitely use it to make art work for my daughter's Paris themed bedroom that we are putting together. Very fun!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I would use Dimensional Magic to create some interesting visual art for out guest bedroom & guest bathroom! The walls in these two rooms are bare, and I need Mod Podges' help! Thanks a bunch for the chance!

    Laura R. from Wisconsin
    laurarogers42@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm going to try it on Cloth Jewelry!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am sure I could find a million and one uses for this!!! I love crafting and teach camp/classes during the summer to kids on arts and crafts....

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love Dimensional Magic! I use it to make Jewelry!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love Mod Podge but haven't used Dimensional Magic--I would probably use it for adding dimension to mixed media art and would love to try on jewelry pieces like pendants etc.
    shar22@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  23. Amy! Another amazing blog!! We love you so much. I've never used this kind of Mod Podge! Oh I feel a purchase coming on!haha

    ReplyDelete
  24. I never have used Dimensional Magic, I would to make some pendants and some cool dimensional art like you did!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Well, never having used it I don't have a project in mind right now. I do have something with sand in mind for after I recover from my surgery. I think Dimensional Magic would work great with it.

    ReplyDelete
  26. i use mod podge a lot, but have never used dimensional magic. would love to try it on jewelry pieces!
    asucarr@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. So creative. I really just love everything you make.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I like your idea and the way you did all the flowers. I have been really wanting to make some bottle cap pendants with the Dimensional Magic.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I would use it in one of my mixed media art projects!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I would use it to make personalized charms to hang from altered books.

    sherbet1956@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. I would use it for scrapbooking, paper crafts, jewelry, and what ever else I could think of!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thanks for pointing us to your craft, Amy!

    I think that I'm going to add Crafty Life and Style to my list of "must check" blogs!! What a great blog.

    Also, I love your project. What a great idea!

    I would use the Dimensional Magic to create a lovely Scrabble tile pendant ... been trying to find some to play with for a while.

    Thanks for the opportunity!
    Thanks to Crafty Life and Style for hosting you! :)

    Shoni
    shonijunk (at) yahoo (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  33. I would love to win the Mod Podge. You never can have too much of it at home. I so want to try the dimensional magic. This is a cute tut on making a collage

    ReplyDelete
  34. I would love to try the dimensional Magic on a similar project...how fun!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I have wanted to work with resin for a while now, but it seemed dauntingly complicated. I would love to try this to make jewelry and buttons. It looks so easy and fun!!
    meremomma@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  36. Love that Amy and her rockin' MP projects. I'd love to try making little charms to hang on a birthday centerpiece. Hard to explain, but I've been thinking of it for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I was scanning my over 2oo blogs i needed to catch up on and this project jumped out. I love the colors! I use the regular HP and am looking forward to trying this

    ReplyDelete
  38. awesome, i have been longing for some of this stuff. i would love to make some of those magnets over at how about orange. so cute!
    (puravida(at)frontiernet(dot)net)

    ReplyDelete
  39. I'd love to win! I love to read your tutorials on Mod Podge Rocks!
    titus2moments.blogspot.com
    clintandlauren@live.com

    ReplyDelete
  40. I would LOVE to try some 'magic' I have looked for the stuff at all the craft stores around me with no luck :-( I think I would first try it on some jewelery pieces.... Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  41. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Mixed media art would look totally awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  43. I really like the way this turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  44. this is stunning. really nice.

    I'm a new follower!
    kathryn
    www.thedragonsfairytail.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  45. Just beautiful! TFS!

    Alex
    http://www.youhadmeatcraft.com/

    ReplyDelete
  46. Love this so much!
    Definitely going to PIN this on my Pinterest boards! :-)
    I'm hosting a FUN link party at www.littlelucylu.com if you'd like to link up there!
    ~Bec :-)

    ReplyDelete

Hearing from you makes us so happy! Please leave us a kind word.